Prevention is a crucial part of maintaining excellent oral health. We can provide the vital support your teeth need.
Implant Dentures – Shorewood, WI
Sturdy, Long-Lasting Full-Arch Replacement
According to one estimate, roughly 23 million people are completely edentulous (missing all of their teeth), while an additional 12 million are edentulous in one arch. If you are all too familiar with the struggles of extensive tooth loss, you might have considered getting conventional dentures. While modern dentures are better than ever before, they do have their drawbacks. For many people, a better solution is available — implant dentures in Shorewood. We work with local specialists to offer this remarkable service. Contact Shorewood Family Dental today to learn more.
What Are Implant Dentures?
Dental implants in Shorewood are prosthetic tooth roots. They are inserted into the jawbone during a minimally invasive surgery, after which they bond with the surrounding tissue and are able to provide a strong base for the denture that gets attached to them. Implant dentures are therefore much more reliable than their conventional counterparts.
There are a few different types of implant dentures. Depending on your circumstances, you might be a candidate for one of the following:
Fixed/Permanent Implant Dentures
These are permanently attached to the implants that support them; they can only be removed by a dental professional. On average, they require 4 – 6 dental implants per arch. Many patients opt for this type of prosthetic because they want the convenience of always having their teeth in their mouth.
Removable Implant Dentures
Sometimes called Snap-On dentures, these are easy for patients to remove on their own for cleaning and other purposes. They are held in place by bar- or ball-shaped attachments. They require fewer implants than fixed dentures, making them a suitable choice for many who have lost some bone density in their jaw.
The Implant Denture Procedure
The implant denture procedure takes place across several months and goes through four basic stages:
- Dr. Colosimo, your implant dentist in Shorewood, will evaluate your candidacy for dental implants.
- Implant surgery. You will be referred to a local specialist for this part of your implant journey. This team-based approach to care ensures that you receive top-quality service during every stage of your treatment.
- Your implants will bond with your jawbone, after which small attachments (abutments) will be put on top of them.
- Dr. Colosimo will design and place your beautiful new denture.
Am I a Candidate for Implant Dentures?
Generally speaking, candidates for implant dentures:
- Have adequate bone density to support dental implants
- Are in fair overall health
- Are free of gum disease and other oral health conditions that might interfere with the implants
- Stick to a good oral hygiene routine
If you aren’t sure if you qualify for implant dentures, please schedule a consultation with our practice. Most adults do qualify, either immediately or after some preliminary treatments.
Benefits of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
Although implant dentures require more time and money upfront than traditional dentures, they are a worthwhile investment. Some of their most outstanding benefits include:
- Jawbone preservation. Dental implants stimulate the jawbone, preventing the deterioration that normally occurs after tooth loss.
- Dental implants may last a lifetime, and implant dentures last much longer than traditional ones (which usually need to be replaced every 5 – 7 years).
- Implant dentures are so sturdy that they can handle virtually any food, including tough and chewy items.
- Natural appearance. Colosimo takes care to design implant dentures so they are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth.